Monday, 7 October 2013

Video Analysis: Sub Focus - Endorphins



This is the video for the single from 'Torus' which I plan to use for my music video, 'Endorphins (ft. Alex Clare)'. This song is a lot more electro than the other two I have looked at, as it utilises the synth much more prominently.

The lyrics talking about "holding on for some kind of miracle" and this is representative of the search for change and rebellion against authority. To a certain extent we see this in the other two videos as they head away from the 'safe' ideals of the city. The miracle seems to be that authority allows music, and it at the end of the video, one of the riot officers taps his foot, to suggest he is enjoying the music, and the miracle has occurred. This relates to the idea of equilibrium, disequilibrium and a new equilibrium. The contrasts of restraint and freedom are extremely interesting. The lyrics also talk about "every step" which is perhaps why there are many shots of people running and low angle shots of feet.

At the beginning we see once again beat-matched cutting, a convention of the genre. The use of guns and flares are phallic symbols that are used a lot in dance music videos, with the fire jugglers in the 'I Could Be The One' video I earlier analyzed a good example of this. There is also an example of intertextuality with the close up of the Mercedes car wheel at the beginning. The dancing is a prominent feature in this video, as has been noted in all the videos I have looked at.

No comments:

Post a Comment